To use it you need to have an FTP software, a FTP client.
An FTP Client is software that is designed to transfer files back-and-forth between two computers over the Internet.
It needs to be installed on your computer and can only be used with a live connection to the Internet.
The standard ftp program is the original ftp client.
This is a console program, so you better download an ftp client.
There are commercial ftp clients.
In order to start using your FTP program, you need the following information which is included
in your Web hosting account activation notice…
- Hostname – usually something like ftp.domain.com or www.domain.com, but it can vary.
Your FTP software allows you to…
- upload files and directories to your remote Web host
- download files and directories from your Web host
- delete files and directories from your Web host
- create directories
- rename files and directories
- change read, write, and execute permissions for files and directories (chmod).